http://jancarolromancenovels.weebly.com MY NEW WEBSITE

This is my little block, in my little city.

I welcome comments, especially if they will help me help others. I'm open to receive your words.

I've been writing since I was 14, and normally I don't know how to stop. My notes become letters, my letters become books, and my books, well, they are definitely books! My published books can be seen at: http://www.jancarol.shorturl.com


Stop by often. Never know when I am going to say something profound... Yeah, right. I'm just me, a happy grandma of many, who loves to write!

Have a great day, and happy writing!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thanksgiving not just a day...

Charles Dickens is purported to have said that we are somewhat mixed up here in America. He told an audience that instead of having one Thanksgiving Day each year we should have 364. "Use that one day just for complaining and griping," he said. "Use the other 364 days to thank God each day for the many blessings He has showered upon you."

What a great thing!  What day of the year would you designate being "Complaint Day"?  I'm all for thanking God 364 days each year!  Actually 365 days is better.

We definitely have many blessing to count, that even doing so every day of the year, we couldn't name each one.

We have been placed upon this Earth, the scriptures call it the Lord's footstool.  (Acts 7:49 Matthew 5:35)  We should leave it as good or better than we found it.  Plant flowers or a great garden on you property.

One lady, whose husband was in the military would do just that, plant.  Mostly they would rent a house for a short time, so she knew she wouldn't see the end results.  But that didn't mean she couldn't leave it for the next family that moved in to enjoy.  Her goal was to leave the property in better shape than it was when they got there.

We've been given air to breath, beauty to see, songs of nature to hear, wonderful foods to taste, so much around us to feel.  There are people around us that don't have every sense that most of us have.  Have you ever thought about helping someone experience what is not within their grasp?  That would be a wonderful thing to do to show God how thankful you are for the things you have been given.

Many years ago, I was helping a sister-in-Christ who was born blind.  She was on the board of the National Federation of the Blind, and had to go to the meetings once a year.  I accompanied her to a couple of them.  When we had time to ourselves, she wanted to go to the mall to "look around".  At that time, I was using a wheelchair to get around outside the house.  With her pushing me, I was telling her what each little store had in it.  The looks we got!  They could tell she was blind, but people didn't look to see that I had my hands on the wheels guiding us.  We had the best time!  She could walk well.  I could see well.  What a blessing we were to each other!  Together we were whole.

My family went to a nice river one time, asking this lady to go with us.  She was ecstatic that someone would invite her to go somewhere like that.  We all told her of the scenery we passed as our vehicle went along the highway.  Then we all helped take her down the steep decline to the river, about 25 or so feet.  Many people walk down the rocky way never thinking about it.  We stayed by the river, playing and having a good time, and this lady will never forget the sounds.

Take a little time each day, or at least once a month, to help someone who needs help seeing or hearing what you take for granted.  Think about helping a mother who has a child that needs constant care.

Many deaf people are starved for company to "talk" to.  Learn a little sign language, it doesn't take a lot of time, and make someone happy.  In this way, you are letting God know you are thankful for all He has given you.

Remember to thank Him through your prayers.  He's waiting to hear from you!

Have a blessed month of Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment